top of page

Home > Life in Dong-A

Arrival in Korea

제목 없음.png

Before coming to Korea

1. Pickup Arrangement and Arrival Guide

  A. How to apply (language students only)

  • After your visa is issued, please discuss your entry date with Dong-A University, and then send your pickup application and plane ticket to 

  • (person in charge of language program).

  • Download application

  B. Pickup period: Only available for 1 week prior to the beginning of the semester.

  • If you are arriving after the start of the semester due to personal circumstances, please discuss your entry date via email with ( before you purchase your plane ticket

  C. Pickup location: Gimhae International Airport, Busan Station, Busan International Passenger Terminal.

     ※ Pickup service is not available for students who are not entering into the dormitories.

       If you are going to your personal lodging from Gimhae Airport, refer to the below:

       < Gimhae Airport Bus Stop Map >

  • Limousine Bus: Seomyeon/Busan Station direction (Fee: KRW 6,000),

                                       Haeundae/Namcheon Dong  direction (Fee: KRW 7,000)

  • Subway: From Busan-Gimhae Light Rail Transit Airport Station, transfer at number 3 line Daejeo station or number 2 line Sasang station

  • Taxi: Approximately KRW 20,000 when going to Nampo dong, or approximately KRW 27,000 when going to Seomyeon.

2. Predeparture Preparations

  • Passport: Keep a separate copy

  • Visa Permit: Obtained from the embassy, Keep a copy

  • Photo: Have multiple passport-sized photos available (to be used if the passport is lost or when issuing student ID)

  • Plane Ticket: Check accuracy of English Name (as seen on your passport), and departure date

  • Currency Exchange: Korean currency (dollars, yuans, yens, can be exchanged in Korea)

  • Credit Card: Make sure you can use the card in foreign countries

  • International Phone: Prepare a postpaid phone which can be used without cash

  • International Student ID: Student discounts are available for intercity buses, restaurants, and etc

  • International Driver's License: Necessary for students who plan on traveling via rental cars

  • International Student Insurance: When subscribing form your country, make sure you have a copy of the registration ready 

※ Korean study abroad reference websites


Upon Arrival

1. Enter Dormitory (Limited to dormitory applicants)

A. Check room assignment, then register for check-in (submit oath and supply checklist)

B. Make dormitory payment: Check total amount due, then make payment within 1 day of the official check-in date.

C. Submit health check-up results (Results should be issued by a domestic institution and should be submitted within 2 weeks 

     starting from check-in date.)


2. Alien Registration Application

A. Application period: Within 14 days of entering the university.

B. How to apply: Apply through the Immigration Office (make a visit reservation through and through   

     international student substitute registration

C. Prep materials: Consolidated application (designated form), passport, course registration certificate (or proof of enrollment),           documents of proof of stay, physical examination paper, photo (white background) x1, processing fee KRW30,000

3. Student ID Application

A. Initial application: Apply through the person in charge of international student support from the International Affairs division

     after arrival. (No fees for undergraduates and language school students)

B. Re-issuing:

             - Prepare: Identification photo (size: 3*4) x1, processing fee KRW5,000

             - Application: Korean Language trainee-International Affairs division,

                                       undergraduate student and graduate student-office of affiliated department

            ※ Student ID’s can be used as rechargeable public transportation cards and also as dormitory entry cards.

4. Opening a Bank Account

     - Bring a copy of your passport or alien registration card and open an account at a nearby bank.

     ※ ATM cards from the bank from which you opened your account can only be applied by those who have an alien registration card.

5. Mobile Phone Registration

A. How to register: After opening a bank account, bring your alien registration card and visit a carrier (SK, KT, LG) dealer.

B. Rates: Approx. KRW 40,000 –50,000 per month (rates may be different depending on the plan. Price of mobile phone device not






Tips on Safety

After the application process with a university, students should make contact with a supervising professor, the international office, and any acquaintances in Korea. Contact information should be shared with those people including phone number, email, or address.

It is very important to share any difficulties or troubles in Korea with family members and friends in order to properly cope and overcome any challenges. Regarding accidents or crime, students should contact the police for assistance.


1. Money Issues

  • Although muggings are not very common in Korea, foreign students should be careful of their belongings and money they carry.

  • Carrying a small amount of cash is recommended while other funds for tuition and living expenses should be deposited in a bank account.

  • Leaving cash out in a dormitory, house, or room is not advisable. Students should be cautious and use common sense.

2. General Safety

  • When seeking housing, safety concerns and conditions should be considered.

  • Whether it be day or night, students should keep doors locked.

  • When visitors come claiming to check the gas, telephone, or water, you should check the person’s identification.

  • Before leaving home or going to bed, students should turn off the water faucet and gas.

  • If encountering a suspicious person or car, students should call the police and make sure to lock the door.

  • If a house-key is lost or stolen, the landlord should be contacted immediately to request the door lock to be changed.

  • Important documents should be kept carefully and separately. If lost, students should get them reissued as soon as possible.

  • Students should always keep their house key with them even when just leaving home for short periods of time.

3. Internet Crime

In general, internet crimes in Korea involve gambling, depictions of sexual violence, threats, fraud, leak of personal information, and running illegal websites. Releasing viruses or distributing spam emails are also considered Internet crimes.

     [Laws for Protecting Internet Communication]

  • A person who is found to have caused personal damage through text messages will be sentenced to a maximum of 3 years of imprisonment or a maximum penalty of 20 million won.

  • A person who is found collecting personal data, causing injury, leaking personal information, causing a tertiary harm, or causing any loss to another will be sentenced to a maximum of 5 years of imprisonment or a maximum penalty of 50 million won.

  • A person who is found releasing illegal photos, committing fraud, or delivering illegal materials will be sentenced to a maximum of 1 year of imprisonment or a maximum penalty of 10 million won.

  • Movies, videos, games, and music that are allowed and indicated of permission by Minor Protection Law can be sold.

  • Selling cigarettes, alcohol, drug, and/or adult toys is prohibited. Law violators will be punished according to the law.

4. Financial Crimes

  • If you are requested to give bank account information, credit card number and/or any passwords over the phone, you should immediately suspect voice-phishing, which is a criminal act in which such information is used to gain access to personal financial accounts. Foreign students involved in voice-phishing will be punished according to the law.

  • It is crucial not to disclose any personal banking information such as an ID or password to anyone, and to keep banking certificates secure.

5. Four tips to remember

  • (1) Carrying only a little cash and keeping larger amount in the bank is recommended. Leaving cash out openly in a dormitory or house can be dangerous.

  • (2) Lending money should be very carefully considered, and in most cases, avoided. Do not let people know how much money you keep in your account or the assets your parents have.

  • (3) Do not decide upon housing only by price, but also consider the location, whether it is safe or not even when using a real estate agent.

        ※ Landlords of rooming house or boarding houses are not responsible for the personal belongings of tenants, so students should be

             careful to secure their belongings and are advised to get insurance.

  • (4) For any emergency situations, immediately call the police by dialing 112, especially when threatened or injured. For instance, if encountering a burglar, it is imperative to call or contact the police. Even if something is lost at school, it is better to notify the proper authorities.

        ※ For emergencies, notify your academic advisor, international office, and Embassy.


6. Organizations for law-related information

  • Korea Legal Aid Corporation(, Tel. 02-532-0132) has 18 branches, 63 sub-branches and 40 local offices which offer free legal consultations.

  • Korea Legal Aid Center for Family Relations (, Tel. 1644-7077) is the oldest legal organization and has 31 local branches and 6 branches worldwide.

  • Korean Bar Association (, Tel. 02-3476-4000)

  • Korea-China Cultural Association International(, Tel. 02-785-3117)

bottom of page